Visit focused on increasing understanding of the importance of pathogen reduction technology to ensuring the safety of the blood supply
Lakewood, Colo., August 21, 2014—Northern Ireland is a key location for medical technology investment. Today, Terumo BCT, a global leader in blood component, therapeutic apheresis and cellular technology, played host to Edwin Poots, Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Lagan Valley, as he toured its Northern Ireland manufacturing facility in Larne. The visit showcased Terumo BCT as an example of a U.S.-based business investing in Northern Ireland to advance blood safety initiatives.
- Terumo BCT has been operating in Northern Ireland for 10 years
- 280 skills people are employed at the Northern Ireland plant
- The Northern Ireland plant produces products ranging from disposable sets for the Atreus® Whole Blood Processing System and the Reveos® Automated Blood Processing System to anticoagulants, red blood cell additive solutions and platelet additive solutions
- The Northern Ireland plant also manufactures the Mirasol® Pathogen Reduction Technology system, which reduces the infectious pathogen load of a broad range of clinically relevant viruses, bacteria and parasites, and inactivates residual white blood cells found in blood components; the system helps improve the safety of the blood supply by adding a layer of protection against disease-causing agents in platelets and plasma while still maintaining quality blood components
- The Mirasol system currently is used in more than 50 blood centers in 15 countries throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA)
- In 2013, Terumo BCT announced plans to invest more than £2 million in two R&D projects and create 416 new jobs in Larne, supported by more than £2 million from Invest Northern Ireland's Jobs fund, over the next three years
- The Mirasol system is not available for sale in the U.S.
Edwin Poots, MLA, Lagan Valley
"I am pleased to be here today and to have seen firsthand the manufacture of Terumo BCT's innovative pathogen reduction technology system. It is great to see locally based industries in pharmaceutical and medical devices supporting the recovery of the Northern Ireland economy. This provides so many benefits to the Health and Social Care sector, not only in the provision of competitively sourced medical and pharmaceutical supplies, but also in aiding the health and wellbeing of the people of Northern Ireland by providing much needed employment."
Nigel Talboys, Terumo BCT Director Public Policy and Government Affairs, Europe, Middle East, Africa
"The capabilities of our Larne facility are renowned throughout the company and our global markets. I am delighted that we had an opportunity to share with Minister Poots what we are doing as an organization to address blood safety."
"We have a unique understanding of the blood safety challenges faced, not only by U.K., but also those of our global community. Our goal was really to share with Minister Poots not only how our investment in Northern Ireland is impacting the community, but the role pathogen reduction technology can have in providing that extra layer of protection from emerging threats to the blood supply, including Hepatitis E."
About Terumo BCT:
Terumo BCT, a global leader in blood component, therapeutic apheresis and cellular technologies, is the only company with the unique combination of apheresis collections, manual and automated whole blood processing, and pathogen reduction. We believe in the potential of blood to do even more for patients than it does today. This belief inspires our innovation and strengthens our collaboration with customers.
Global Corporate Communications